I’m sure all of you folks have seen the ads for Valtrex, it’s that magical pill that will keep your outbreaks to a minimum and keep you from spreading The Herp to your snuggle buddies. They have these fantastic commercials where everyone is having a blast kayaking, hiking, and sailing; hell, I don’t even have crotch rot and I don’t have that much fun in the outdoors. It almost makes me think that if I skanked out and got a case of The Herp, I might enjoy life more. ALMOST. I think it is a very dangerous thing to glamorize STD’s. Next thing you’ll hear about on dateline (other than the Pope molestering more children), is teenagers peer pressuring each other into getting venereal diseases, because ‘all the cool kids are doing it’.
What bothers me the most about these commercials is their fact that 70% of people who got herpes, got it while their partner wasn’t having an outbreak. THIS MEANS THAT THE OTHER 30% KNOWINGLY HAD SEX WITH SOMEONE WHO HAD SORES ON THEIR GENITALS…. What the fuck?!?! If someone, not matter how hot or kickass they were, has lesions on their naughty bits, I would not fuck them with Angryman’s dick. I understand that alcohol and substances account for part of this percentage of bad judgment, but that doesn’t encompass everyone that is ate up with The Herp. This means that there are skeezy people out there, who in the process of hooking up with someone, looked down saw a scab and/or open sore and said “well, that doesn’t look pretty, but I’m gonna take a run at it anyway”…. That is a flavor of desperation that will leave a helluva aftertaste.
There is also a group of people who start dating someone, find out they have herpes because that person admits it, yet still go forward, full steam ahead. My friend was trying to rationalize it to me “but he’s a really nice guy, everything that I’m looking for, and if we use condoms, I MIGHT not get it;” sexually transmitted diseases are not an area where I want the word “might” to play a role. I don’t care how much I love you, or think you are a whole bag of awesome, no one is worth a lifetime of the shame that comes with filling a valtrex prescription every month.